Oct 22, 2004

In search of greater meaning

I am bored, interesting position to be in considering that I have not achieved anything world changing in life. You would think that with a life resume as thin as mine, that I would be busting with zeal to go out and conquer (well you can think it, but you better not mention it). The position I find myself in is an unusual one, I am young (relatively speaking of course), employed (definitely not a career job), good looking (in a chunky kind of way), healthy ( if any smoker can be considered healthy), and outgoing (sometimes). The problem would seem to be that a general dissatisfaction with the state of my affairs has led to a compounding sense of continuing malaise that manifests itself’ as well “boredom”. On the one hand you could blame a “lack of imagination” as the main reason my I cannot maximize my time to get the most out of life or you could state quite obviously that a refusal to accept things for what they are, a belief that somewhere, somehow, that i can do enough to turn my life into a rainbow of self fulfilling activities that would satisfy that hunger for something greater is leading me down a road whose various forks lead to unhappiness or at the very least despair. I fear that in the end I would look back on my life and it would not measure up to the dreams I had for it as a child. The hope and sense of adventure that is manifest in every child, if that could be bottled and sold to adults, we would all be the better for it. Much too often we die mentally before the body finally gives up. But all the same I think I have a simple solution to my problem, I will make plans and carry them out, the sense of achievement, the planning and anticipation that should keep me going even if the goal is as insignificant as learning how to snowboard. The problem I find, is not a lack of activity, but a lack of challenge. The push to overcome any obstacle is a motivation for the mind, the body and the soul. As long as I remember to free my mind, I know that the rest will surely follow.

No comments: